How Province Lake Golf Came to Be
Province Lake Golf was originally built in 1918 as a 9-hole course along the shores of Province Lake by Joseph Emery and his friends and business associates. Emery, a native of Dover, N.H., served as president of Lord & Taylor in New York City and visited Province Lake each summer.
The original course was designed by Lawrence Van Etten, who laid out a number of courses on the East Coast, including a course at Deal Country Club in New Jersey and the original Wykagyl Course in New Rochelle, N.Y.
In 1988, a second nine was built, designed by renowned East Coast architect Brian Silva. Silva's work includes the Captains Course at Cape Cod National in Brewster, Mass., Black Creek, outside Chattanooga, Shaker Hills in Harvard, Mass., and Cyprian Keyes Golf Club in Boylston, Mass.
Although the back nine is shorter than the front, it is a more challenging set of holes based upon tighter fairways, smaller landing areas, and the water hazards that were introduced. Over the years, many other improvements have been made in our irrigation and layout. We've also renovated many of the original buildings on the property.
…all who visit…return…